November 18, 2011

On the Radio

So I have a radio show. I'm on air, playing music, hanging out, and rocking out once a week. KUGS FM is the WWU radio station and it's all student volunteer operated. So mistakes are made on air -I just played a cd, then popped the cd player open mid song, whoops. Right now, I'm doing a program called Music for the Masses. All of the albums are put on this rack (a.k.a. THE WALL) in the studio, then playlists are created based on ten categories: new music, top 40, heavy, medium, and light play, specialty, upcoming shows, local, backtrack, and open. There's an awesome selection of music too. 




So because of the diversity of "the wall," every show is different. It's constantly being updated and shuffled around, which is really fun when you're a fan of discovering new music. A few of my favorite finds consist of: Kristin Allen-Zito, Twenty-One Pilots, Deer Tick, The Dum Dum Girls, The Rooftops, and Rachel Goodrich. 


I suppose this leads into my musical taste. It's kind of eclectic (though some may argue otherwise). I love alternative female singer/song writers/muscians/vocalists like Regina Spektor, Feist, Florence & the Machine (I LOVE Flo), Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside, Carla Bruni, and so on. I love Britpop. My first (official) concert was The Kooks, and upon being introduced to them I immediately tried to discover similar artists. This led me to bands like The Pigeon Detectives, The Fratellis, and The Wombats. Then there is my love for Muse.


The Kooks - "She Moves In Her Own Way"




 I discovered Muse the summer before my sophomore year of high school -I'd been watching Fuse all day and then the video for Knights of Cydonia aired, I was intrigued. A while later, I saw the video for Starlight and was hooked. I bought the Black Holes & Revelations album, listened to it relentlessly and then moved on in my interests until a friend showed me how much more music they had produced. I think that the last half of my senior year of high school and the first of my freshman year of college consisted of Muse being played at least once a day. As of late, they haven't really been at the top of my playlist because....


Muse - "Starlight"




These days I listen to a lot more Indie music. Indie pop, indie folk, indie rock, indie folk rock, etcetera, etcetera. Bands in this niche include Blitzen Trapper, Band of Horses, Deer Tick, Broken Social Scene, Camera Obscura, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cults, The Drums (who I saw in concert last fall...it was awesome), Givers, The Joy Formidable, M83, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Matt & Kim, Metric, Mother Mother, (of course) Neutral Milk Hotel, and so it goes.. I think that I like the diversity within the Indie genre and how (especially when making a playlist for my show) everything flows together in a weird/awesome way.


Blitzen Trapper - "Black River Killer"


Broken Social Scene - "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl" feat. Feist & Emily Haines (of Metric)



Finally there are a few alternative bands that I love along with the rest of the world. For example: Beirut, Bon Iver, Hockey, Kings of Convenience, The Postal Service, you get the idea. 


Check out the videos if you get a chance, maybe you'll discover something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment